By Laura Beattie on July 6, 2021
Status: Open; portable restroom, open trails, fishing pier.
Google Map Driving Directions
The Lampson Reservoir is located about three miles east of SR 45 on SR 307, just as one crosses the Mill Creek in Jefferson, Ohio.
The Lampson Reservoir has been in place since 1906 and originally provided water for Jefferson Village. A recent engineering study of the Lampson Reservoir showed that it’s dam is in need of some work that will be scheduled in the near future.
The Metropark is 140 acres and the reservoir is approximately twenty-two acres.
The reservoir has fishing and primitive trails. New in 2017: benches and a walking bridge along the trail; observation dock on Lampson Lake.
The footbridge, boardwalks, fishing pier and ramp, benches, and kiosk were funded by the Ashtabula Civic Development Corporation through their 2015 Placemaking Grant.
Mill Creek bounds the area on north and west feeds into the Grand River which offers recreational fishing above and below the old dam across the Mill Creek itself.
Upstream a half-mile, Mill Creek meanders leisurely under the Doyle Road Covered Bridge.
This 93 acre site acquired in 2007 with Clean Ohio Grant funds and the 2016 purchase of an additional 70 acres with a conservation easement features a 5 acre stocked lake. Adjacent to Mill Creek, includes 20 acres of wetland, mixed woodland, and parking.
Limited foot trails enable visitors to bird, fish, hike, kayak/canoe, photograph, and picnic. Future trail improvements may provide educational and X-country ski experiences.
Mill Creek water quality and safety will be improved by a proposed dam removal in collaboration with the OEPA planning and funding, TNC oversight.
Marked hiking trails enable visitors to bird, fish, hike, kayak/canoe, photograph, and picnic.
Future trail improvements may provide educational and X-country ski experiences.
Primitive. Portable restroom. No running water. Some benches along the trail. Picnic tables. Observation/fishing dock on Lampson Lake.
The Lampson Reservoir is located about three miles east of SR 45 on 1259 SR 307, just as one crosses the Mill Creek in Jefferson, Ohio.